Our Story: A Travel Epiphany (Trip + Epiphany = Trip-if-in-i)
We founded the company based on some fundamental ideas - we like to think of them as our own travel epiphanies
Big trips are defining experiences in our lives.Our travel adventures are the stories we most love to tell – we’ve shared some of our favorites below and bet you have a few too.
Travel is better when you have a connection to the ground.We've traveled to some pretty far flung places but have always found there is no substitute for traveling with a local.
25 years ago, co-founder Mike Gerrity visited his Wharton business school friend and co-founder Asheesh Malaney in India and had the trip of a lifetime. That may have been the defining moment for Tripifini – India can be amazing and overwhelming all at once, but having a connection on the ground made for a completely different experience. It's the difference between being a tourist and being an insider. It's the difference between jostling for taxis versus having someone show you to your car. It's the difference between not knowing where to eat - and having a meal of a lifetime. And It's the difference of seeing sites in a guidebook versus truly experiencing a new country.
Asheesh went on to found his own boutique travel company and showed more than 4000 travelers his insiders view of South Asia. Over the course of 20+ years he also developed network of like minded operators in other countries around the world.
In 2015 Asheesh was convinced there was a better way for travelers to connect with the great local operators to create life changing travel experiences, and together with Mike and a team of passionate co-founders in San Francisco, London and Mumbai launched Tripifini.
Meet the Team
Co-Founder & CEO
- Home Base: San Francisco
- Travel Party: Usually at least 5. Often travel with extended family
- Trips of a Lifetime: Diving the red sea, Trekking in Laos
- Bucket list: Ski Japan, See Komodo Dragons in Indonesia
- Post Card Location: Coyote Canyon, San Miguel de Allende
- Post Card Country: Mexico
- Post Card: We celebrated my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary with our extended family of 12 in Mexico, which can be so European with its art galleries and cafe culture. Horseback riding and rappelling the Coyote Canyon were the highlights of the trip.
Co-Founder & Director of Business Development
- Home Base: London
- Travel Party: Friends and family and often both together
- Trips of a Lifetime: Fly Fishing in Bhutan, Diving in Borneo
- Bucket list: Going deep into the Amazon and camping out in Mongolia
- Post Card Country: Sri Lanka
- Post Card: Watching my son react to a herd of elephants was a sight we will remember forever. From his first ever swim in the sea, to a gorgeous drive through the countryside, this was definitely his induction into a life of travel ahead of him. After everything from whale watching to leopard spotting, it was nice to end up in a beautiful colonial villa in Galle and get pampered for a few days.
Co-Founder & Director of Product
- Home Base: Mumbai
- Travel Party: 3-4 friends or family
- Trips of a Lifetime: Trek to the Tirthan Valley
- Bucket list: Horse back riding in the Andes, Road trip from India to Thailand, Climbing Kilimanjaro, Seeing the Gorillas in Uganda
- Post Card Country: India
- Post Card: What started as an easy summer trek, turned into a challenging adventure after freak mountain weather dumped a few feet of snow overnight. Witnessing the transformation of the barren himalayan landscape into snow covered mountain peaks in front of our eyes, is an experience I will never forget.
Co-Founder & Director of Content
- Home Base: Mumbai
- Travel Party: From 2 - 5, depending on the kind of trip.
- Trips of a Lifetime: Traversing the wilds of Ladakh on a motorcycle, Sailing and diving the magnificent Lakshadweep Islands at the helm of a dive boat
- Bucket list: Patagonia, the Atacama Desert, Mongolia and the Galapagos.
- Post Card Country: Iceland
- Post Card: This shot was taken on the north west coast of Snaefellsness, right after a superb snow-mobile experience on the Snaefells Jokull (glacier). This was part of a 5-day drive through Iceland; mad landscape, mouthwatering food, and the most jaw-dropping natural beauty.
- Home Base: San Francisco
- Travel Party: My husband plus our three kids
- Trips of a Lifetime: Traversing the US in my minivan; Paris, African safari.
- Bucket list: Alaska, Botswana with the whole family
- Post Card Location: Hwange National Park
- Post Card Country: Zimbabwe
- Post Card: My husband and I went on our first African safari last November. We spent ten days totally disconnected from phones and internet and went on two safari drives per day. We were thrilled to discover the animals, the people who lived in and around the area, and the incredible landscape.
Investors & Advisors